The Youth Coalition for the Consolidation of Democracy is a registered non-profit organization with the government of Malawi dedicated to human rights and child protection. We work in cooperation with the regional courts, prisons, police stations, schools, and community leaders chiefly in the following areas:
– Child Protection (Conducting crime and trafficking prevention programs)
– Access to Education (Sponsoring school fees and supplies, especially for street children, orphans, and girls)
– Youth and Women’s Empowerment (Keeping girls in school through female teacher trainings and sanitation programs)
– Skills Development for Youth and Rehabilitation of Youth Involved in Crime (Visiting prisons and conducting life skills trainings for youth in the prison)
– Community Outreach to End Child Marriages (Involving the police to uphold the existing laws against early marriages)
YCD aims at civic engagement in promoting inclusive youth and women participation in effective democratic governance, economic empowerment, child protection, and sustainable livelihoods in the districts of Chikwawa, Nsanje, and Blantyre in southern Malawi.
YCD nullified fifteen child, early and forced marriages of the girls between the ages of 12 to 14 in the month of October, 2017.
The girls YCD removed from child marriages
YCD engaging an extra gear in our campaign to end child, early and forced marriages.
To protect and improve the livelihoods of vulnerable children, youth, women, and disadvantaged groups through education, training, mobilization, economic empowerment, and civic participation.
YCD STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES
- Child protection, child crime prevention, rehabilitation and awareness building, with a particular focus on ending child marriages, child labour, and human-trafficking, protecting and rehabilitating street children, children who are in conflict with the law, and those at a special risk of falling into conflict with the law.
- Youth and women’s empowerment through organized activities that ensure that the youth and women in Malawi are actively engaged to promote, protect and defend human rights.
- Civic education to the youth on responsible citizenship and good leadership that serves the common good of the people.
- Skills development that ensures that the youth and women have the necessary skills to engage in meaningful socio-economic development for their well-being and Malawi at large.
- Inclusiveness of youth and women in all issues in Malawi.
- Transparency and accountability
- Integrity, commitment, and adherence
- Partnership and tolerance
YCD KEY PROGRAM/THEMATIC AREAS
- Human rights and democracy
- Civic education, health, gender and the environment
- Children and youth development
- HIV and AIDS prevention, care, support, and impact mitigation
Youth Coalition for the Consolidation of Democracy (YCD) is registered with the Registrar General under the Trustees Incorporation Act of 1962 of the Laws of Malawi (CAP 5:03) registration number TR/INC/5854 is a non-partisan and non-profit making charitable youth organization initiated in October 2012 and registered in 2013. YCD is also registered with the Council for the Non-Governmental Organization in Malawi (CONGOMA), registration number C1078/2017. YCD is also registered with the NGO-Board of Malawi registration number: NGO/L/17/027. YCD has its Registered Office at Nchalo in Chikwawa District, Malawi, Sub Saharan Africa.